We have submitted Speech Pathology Australia Fact sheets A4 size for Communication Impairment and Augmentative and Alternative Communication to be displayed on the community events Notice Board in the Alice Springs Town Library starting Monday 3rd of October for the month of October.
Annette Mikecz Speech Pathologist and Co Rep NT Agosci
NT Top end has been arranging The Complex Communication SIG's and discussions have included providing services to people with complex communication needs in rural areas and the challenges their team encounter here in NT. There will be a toolbox discussion where therapists attending will bring along articles they have been references in their practice and resources/methods they have been using with clients.
October is AAC awareness month so there will be planning of some activities or community awareness around then.
Here in Central Australia we have circulated resources and continue to do so and there is a great need to discuss, collaborate and share knowledge around complex communication needs and provide support to staff both within services , across services and across professions to foster a transdisciplinary approach to clients with Complex Communication needs.
Annette Mikecz , Speech Pathologist, Co Rep for AGOSCI NT with Ciara-Lucy Forrest
Update from the top end: There is a Complex Communication Special Interest Group now running in conjunction with the Children’s Development Team. Please email interest in attending to email@example.com. The first group of the year was held on Thursday 20th April. Attendees included therapists from Children’s Development Team, Carpentaria Disability Services, Catholic Education, Life Without Barriers, and the Top End Remote Team. The topic of the meeting was Multi-Modal Communication in the Classroom. CDT therapists presented a PD they had provided to staff at the new special school in Palmerston. They then showed a tool kit of visuals that has been given to the school to support them with aided their students communication. Following this everyone attending had a chance to look at some devices and apps the team have been using. For the next meeting everyone has been asked to bring along their AAC questions for the group to discuss.
Venue: Conference Room at Casuarina Plaza Level 1 C
Time: 4pm – 5pm Dates: 15th June, 10th August, 5th Oct, 30th November
Ciara-Lucy Forrest | Speech Pathologist
Children’s Development Team | Department of Health
Update from Central Australia: No new updates.
Annette Mikecz Speech Pathologist Office of Disability Alice Springs
Hello from NT,
We are sharing the NT representative role together- Ciara-Lucy Forrest from the top end and myself from Central Australian Health Service Alice Springs.
- The CCN SIG is Meetings are bi monthly on a Thursday 4-5pm usually towards the end of a month and members from other areas of the NT are able to join in via teleconference. Contact Sharon Watts (Sharon.Watts@nt.gov.au) for more information.
- Darwin allied health professionals and people with complex communication needs were given the opportunity to explore assist
- There are big changes starting to take place with clients phasing into the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in East Arnhem and Darwin urban supported accommodation from 1 January 2017 and then other areas slowly phasing in after this.
- There is still much uncertainty on how the NDIS will work in the Top End, particularly in the remote areas where there are only a very limited number of private providers currently providing services to these areas. The Office of Disability launched the NT Quality and Safeguarding Framework in November 2016 to service providers initially affected by the NDIS. All providers wishing to be registered with the NDIS services in the NT must be assessed under the Framework to ensure quality and safeguarding requirements are met.
- A Complex Communication Needs Special Interest Group was started in Darwin this year. This has been a great forum for sharing local information on current best practice as well as having a few guest speakers come and present to us. We look forward to this group continuing next year.
ABN 74 607 243 620AO A0022584B
AGOSCI all rights reserved © 2018Web Design and Management by Rycom Technology